Friday, August 31, 2012

Last Week of Maternity Leave

This week was my last full week of maternity leave.  I can't believe that my time off is already over.  It seems like just yesterday that Nick and I took a walk (or waddled) down to Michael's Custard with the Storcks (for those of you who didn't know, we walked for custard the night before I went into labor). 

The thought of going back to work is bittersweet.  On one hand, I won't have to listen to the music of the Jungle all day.  On the other hand, I won't get to see Owen smile as he drifts off to sleep with every nap.  Talking with adults vs. staying in my PJs all day.  Having someone else help change Owen's 4-5 poopy diapers each day vs. breast-feeding-forced cuddle time. 

We tried to make the most of our last week of leave, but of course, it was too hot outside to do much!


Our backyard neighbor, Harper, turned 1 year old this week.  We had to go celebrate!

Harper eating cake!  So cute!

We went hiking with the Kandikos at Pheasant Branch Conservancy Trail in Middleton! 

Owen and Mason having tummy time during the picnic part of the hike!

On Monday, we had Uncle Aaron and his girlfriend, Megan, over for dinner (sorry no pics)!  Happy Birthday, Uncle Aaron!

Also, on Monday, Owen started rolling on his side!  Big news, but also a little scary... soon he'll be rolling over, crawling, walking, running... oh geeze!  He can roll onto his left side pretty well, but he hasn't rolled onto his right side yet.  His main goal: to get his hand or "G" the giraffe into his mouth.  



On Tuesday, Owen and I went to our last Mommy-Baby hour.  When I first decided to go to these, I wasn't sure if I would like them.  I figured it would only be women who were all about being moms.  Don't get me wrong.  I wanted to be a mom.  I love being a mom.  I just don't want it to be all that I am.  I am also a wife, a pharmacist (although on Tuesday I may not want to be), a daughter, a sister, a runner (well maybe again someday), etc.   But I found the women at Mommy-Baby hour to be just like me.  And Heather and Mason went with us!  I am going to miss these meetings.  Do you think my boss would let me take every Tuesday off?

In preparation for my going back to work, Owen needed a new bedtime.  He used to get his bedtime feeding around 9 pm and get up for the day ~7:30-8 am (no, he didn't sleep for 11 hours straight, we got up once in there...).  For daycare/going back to work, we need Nick to be able to give him a bottle ~6:30 am.  So on Tuesday, we put him down after his 9 pm feed with hopes of getting him up at 6:30 am.  I even set my alarm (yuck)!  But then Owen slept all the way until 6:10 am!  (see last week's post on my narcoleptic child!)  I still had to get up and pump at 5 am when Nick got up for work, but still!  Since then, we have been aiming for at 7:30-8 pm bedtime and a 6:30-7 am wake up.  It seems to be going well, but we are a little bummed about the early bedtime.  Not like we had much of a social life, but we can kiss any late nights on Waltham goodbye! 

Wednesday, we went to the Doolan's house for dinner.  Blake was very into baby Owen.  I should have gotten pictures, but I didn't.  I was too busy eating the delicious food that Doolan made. 

On Thursday, Nick took the day off.  I had a dentist appointment and an eye appointment.  It must have sounded like a good idea to have them early in the morning when I scheduled the appointments... It was a little bit of practice for going back to work.  I made it to my appointments, but with wet hair.  I am not giving myself high hopes of looking very good on Tuesday when I go back to work. 

Thursday was also the last Packer preseason game.  Uncle Aaron and Megan were at the game.  We stayed home and watched the game from our family room.  I had bought Owen Packer's gear at the St. Vinny's sale.  None of it fits him yet since he is a peanut!  So I put him in the hat for a bit (yes, I know, it was 95 degrees out)! 

Go Pack Go! 

Just like mom, sleeping during the game!

Friday, we spent in our sweatpants.  It's too hot to go outside, so we celebrated my last day of maternity leave in style.  With diaper blow outs and playing in the jungle! 

Tomorrow, we are taking Owen to his first Badger game.  We are sitting by best buddy Mason and the Kandikos!  We are hoping that it goes well, but we may all be a little sweaty by the end of the game!  Regardless, Owen has really cute Badger Onesies that he gets to wear (yes, we are prepared.  He has more than one)!

One last thing!  Some of you may have known that we decorated the nursery with a jungle/safari theme and put up these wall stickers. 

Original wall stickers.
Well... in the middle of the night, I went up to feed Owen and found that the tree with falling off the wall.  I didn't really think that it was safe for giant stickers to fall into the crib with Owen, so I peeled them all the way off.  Then, I painted the wall.  I think it turned out well.  (I only painted the tree/monkey part on the left).  I still can't believe that Nick let me paint monkeys on the wall!




Have a great Labor Day weekend!  Travel safe!

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the blog posts and the wall painting...looks great!

    ReplyDelete